Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services in the Trust have teamed up with the charity Rethink to run a book group for young people.
But this is a book group with a difference – as we will try to get the author to come along too to talk about the book with you!We can provide copies of the book. All you have to do is read it and come along to the book group to share your thoughts.
The book group is a fun way to meet new people, talk about issues raised in the book and hear what others thought.It’s OK to have a different view to everyone else. In fact, it makes it more interesting when a book sparks lots of different responses!
The next book group is on: Monday 14 August 2017
From 5:30pm - 6.30pm at
The Children and Young People Centre
15 Homerton Row
The selected book is: Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard
Sara will join the book group with our regular host, author, Holly Bourne.
Best friends Caddy and Rosie are inseparable. Their differences have brought them closer, but as she turns sixteen Caddy begins to wish she could be a bit more like Rosie – confident, funny and interesting. Then Suzanne comes into their lives: beautiful, damaged, exciting and mysterious, and things get a whole lot more complicated. As Suzanne’s past is revealed and her present begins to unravel, Caddy begins to see how much fun a little trouble can be. But the course of both friendship and recovery is rougher than either girl realises, and Caddy is about to learn that downward spirals have a momentum of their own.
Email: Zahura.Ahmed@elft.nhs.uk to find out more
Areas you could think about as you read are:
- Was the story plausible – could you imagine it happening?
- Did you have a favourite character?
- What part of the story did you most enjoy?
- Was there a section where you particularly liked the words used, a description or the way an idea was conveyed
- Were any of the characters or situations that didn’t come over well
- Did it challenge you or make you think what you would do in a similar situation?
- Did it keep your attention?
- Would you recommend the book to others?
We know people read at different rates so we allow at least six weeks in between book group meetings.
The book group has been running since July 2016. See the Rethink website for feedback here: