The Diabetes Specialist Nursing service offers a comprehensive range of diabetes services for residents of Newham and across 5 inpatient mental health hospitals managed by ELFT in East London.
1) Paediatric Diabetes Service:
Our Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse Jenny Hurley works closely with inpatient teams, schools, GP’s , social workers and others in the management of children 16 years and younger.
Jenny Hurley runs a diabetes MDT clinic at Centre Manor Park. Mobile: 07949075750
Jenny also runs insulin pump clinics and diabetes education sessions.
Jenny works from 09:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday.
2) Adolescent and Young adult diabetes service:
Our Adolescent and Young Adult Diabetes Specialist Nurse is Rita Sudhra and Fiona Pullen who work with 16 to 25 years old clients.
Rita and Fiona both operate a walk in clinic on Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays at Shrewsbury Centre from 08:00am to 17:00. Rita also runs an evening clinic on Thursday from 16:-20:00 one evening every month.
Both Rita and Fiona offer webcam appointments via Skype as a very convenient alternative to a conventional appointment.
Rita also co-leads on the Type 1 Education programme, DAFNE and insulin pump clinic.
3) Adult Diabetes Service:
Our Adult Diabetes Specialist Team consists of 5.5 whole time equivalent nurses who work from 08:00 to 17:00 Mondays to Fridays.
The Adult Diabetes Specialist Team offers an extensive service in Newham:
1. Nurse led clinics at various health centres in Newham.
2. Diabetes Education which includes DAFNE for type 1 diabetes, Conversation Maps for type 2 diabetes along with various Language education sessions and pre diabetes sessions
3. Diabetes Study days for Health Care Professionals and Carers, also offer Level 1 & 2 education sessions for Registered Nurses.
4. Nurse led clinics for insulin pump which will soon include continuous glucose monitoring
5.Diabetes specialist nurse also leads on and provides ongoing support for the GP diabetes Optimisation clinic
6. Discuss individual case and provide support for GP at Multi-Disciplinary Team Meetings
7. Co-manage clients under the care of consultant Diabetologist.
8. Co-lead on the delivery of case reviews for GPs.
9. Co-lead in the complex podiatry clinic.
10. Provides expertise to the Virtual Ward and Rapid Response teams.
11. Patients are offered face to face appointments, telephone consultation, skype appointments and home visits for house bound patients
12. Have a duty DSN on daily to review urgent referrals , triage patients and answer queries from GP/patients or other health care professionals
Please contact the administrator on telephone: 0208 586 5240 for contact details of individual adult DSN or email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Referral: Should be made via patient’s GP on the appropriate referral forms. URGENT referrals should be faxed to our office and the office called to confirm receipt.
4) Mental Health Diabetes Service:
Our Adult Diabetes Specialist Team consists of Vik Totaram: 07973508987 and Noeleen Hilton: 07944637120. They operating hours are 09:00 to 17:00, Monday to Friday.
Vik Totaram covers John Howard Centre, City and Hackney inpatient sites and Mile End Hospital
Noeleen Hilton covers Wolfson House, Tower Hamlets, Newham mental health inpatients and Sally Sherman at East Ham Care Centre
The Mental Health Diabetes Service offers the following:
1. Urgent review of diabetes cases.
2. Routine review of diabetes cases.
3. Annual diabetes checks
4. Diabetes Education for the inpatient mental health colleagues.
5. Telephone advice
The completed forms should be emailed to: MHDiabetesNurse.Referrals@nhs.net
Contact: Shamaa Rahman - 07973 506 988 or Shamaa.email@example.com
Team Email for Mental Health: MHDiabetesNurse.Referrals@nhs.net
Team Email for CHN: elt-tr.diabetesDSN-CHN@nhs.net
Appointments should be made via patient’s GP on the appropriate referral forms. URGENT referrals should be faxed to our office and the office called to confirm receipt.
Appointments should be made via patient’s GP on the appropriate referral forms