This specialist service works with people aged 14-64 inclusive who are experiencing their first episode of psychosis, no matter what the cause of symptoms, whether it is drug induced or related to a bipolar disorder or a primary psychotic illness. This intensive service is available to people with psychosis and their carers for a maximum of three years.
Psychosis is a term used to describe conditions that affect the mind, where there has been some loss of contact with reality. Hallucinations, such as hearing voices, delusions (false beliefs), paranoia and disorganised thoughts and speech are some of the symptoms that may be experienced. These symptoms can seem so real that often the person does not realise that they are experiencing psychosis. Psychosis also affects feelings and behaviour.
The service also works with people with low level psychotic symptoms such as, odd beliefs, altered sensations particularly in their hearing and vision, a family history of psychosis, fleeting psychotic symptoms and/or changes in their mental state.
The service is comprised of a community based multi-disciplinary team which provides assistance and interventions at a time and location that are convenient to the person with psychosis.
The team aims to reduce both the duration and severity of acute psychosis and to improve a person’s social functioning and assist them in staying or getting back into employment or education.
The service offers:
- Advice, information and assessment
- An assessment period of up to three months
- Assertive outreach approach youth friendly services, emphasising social recovery
- Comprehensive package of care for a duration of two-three years
- Cognitive behavioural therapy for hallucinations and delusions
- Family intervention
- Help with returning to work or education
- Hospital admission arranged when necessary
- Low dose neuroleptic medication
- Relapse prevention strategies
- Seeing people in their homes or other non-stigmatising settings
- Support/advice for family, carers and friends.
Self-Referrals to this service are accepted.