Newham Health Team for Adults with Learning Disabilities (NHLD) is a specialist multi-disciplinary team comprising of:
• Art Therapy
• Clinical Psychology
• Learning Disability Community Nursing including an Access to Acute Liaison Nurse
• Occupational Therapy
• Speech and Language Therapy
We accept referrals for adults
• With severe to profound learning disabilities who have an unmet health need.
• Who are aged 18 or over
• Who have a GP in Newham
We sometimes work with people with mild to moderate learning disabilities with an unmet health need but only if they are unable to access mainstream services even with reasonable adjustments.
We do not accept referrals for:
• Learning Disability diagnosis without a related unmet health need
• Adults with specific learning difficulties only e.g. dyslexia
• Diagnosis of High Functioning Autism / Aspergers
• People with mild/moderate learning disabilities who are able to access mainstream service with reasonable adjustments
• Adults with an acquired brain damage/ injury in adulthood (i.e. an injury NOT acquired before the age of 18)
NHLD use person-centred approaches that may involve:
• Working with people individually or in groups
• Adapting mainstream clinical interventions to make them accessible to people
• Working with families and carers
• Adapting clients’ environments
• Working in a person’s home or at our base or local community centres / facilities.
The work is always at the client's pace and so sessions may take longer than in mainstream services.
The service is offered between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday. Please note we do not offer a rapid/crisis response service within this team.
Referrals by social workers/ Occupational Therapists/ District Nurses/ GP’s/Carers/Self- Referrals/Schools and Colleges.
The new phone number is: 0207 059 6600
The email address is: elt-tr.newhamLD@nhs.net