Older People's Inpatient Service for adults over the age of 65 years in Bedfordshire and Luton. Care provided to patients with dementia, a functional or organic mental illness and/or who require continuing care. Patients under the age of 65 years with early onset dementia may also be accepted.
Functional mental illness describes conditions of acute psychiatric illness such as depression, anxiety or psychosis. Organic mental illness mostly describes dementia as well as other conditions which result from brain injury.
The service offers the following treatments and therapies:
Art and Crafts
The service offers:
• 24 hour service, 365 days a year
• Active involvement of the patient, family and carers
• Assessment, intensive treatment, intervention and support in the early stages of a mental health crisis
• Choice and patient autonomy
• Practical support and assistance with problems of daily living
• Rapid response following referral to the ward
• Recovery planning with patient focused outcomes
• Time-limited care that is responsive to patient need