The Adult Community Speech and Language Therapy team provide assessment and management for people with acquired disorders of speech, language, voice and/or swallowing.
Communication assessment and management may include:
• Assessing speech, language (understanding, expression, written understanding and written output) and voice as appropriate.
• Assessing and offering advice regarding the appropriateness of alternative/augmentative methods of communication
• Based on assessment findings devising an appropriate management plan which may include advice, education or therapeutic intervention to improve or maintain function.
Swallowing assessment and management may include:
• Assessing the physiology of the swallow and determining the safety of oral food/fluid intake and risk of aspiration
• Assessing for the presence of impaired eating and drinking skills
• Making recommendations as to the safest oral intake with accompanying strategies as appropriate
• Providing verbal and/or written feedback to all those involved
• Supporting carers and reducing potential anxiety surrounding the feeding difficulties.
The Adult SLT team works closely with colleagues in Rapid Response, Extended Primary Care, East Ham Care Centre, Newham University Hospital, Mile End Hospital and Community Neurology Services.
Recent initiatives and achievements
- Establishing an annual MDT training day to care staff regarding Nutrition in Care Homes to improve management of feeding and swallowing and reduce risk of hospital admission;
- Devising an e-learning module on “Dysphagia” to encourage awareness of knowledge in supporting people with swallowing difficulties across the trust;
- Exploring and trialling new and innovative treatment approaches in dysphagia management;
- Successfully setting up telehealth during the COVID-19 Pandemic;
- Developing new training packages for Nursing Homes;
- Working closely with Acute Mental Health Services;
- IDDSI implementation across Newham – standardised swallow care plan, diet/fluid handouts;
- QI project with nursing homes, and Enjoying Work;
- Adult SLT supporting Long Covid Hub and QI Bariatric Project.
Where services are run: Domiciliary, care homes, day centres and other community locations.
Service Lead: Lorena Gonzalez, Interim Clinical Lead Adult Speech and Language
Senior Manager: Joanna Raphael, Head of Therapies
How to Refer: Open referral system
Contact Tel: 020 8475 2080
Team email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Where services are run: Domiciliary, Care Homes, Day Centres and other appropriate community locations. East Ham Care Centre, Shrewsbury Road, London, E7 8QP.