What is the SPoA?
It is a new coordination centre for adult services within Bedfordshire Community Health Services. This centre is accessed via a single number, which is where the name SPoA comes from; it stands for ‘Single Point of Access’.
The SPoA provides customer service and information for service users, family, carers and healthcare professionals.
What is the SPoA contact number?
The contact number is (0345) 602 4064 and the centre is available 24hours a day/7 days a week
Who can use the SPoA?
If you or a loved one is accessing any of the services listed below, and you need to raise a query or get in contact with a Bedfordshire Community Health Services, please use the SPoA number, where a trained call handler will be happy to help.
The SPoA is also available to healthcare professionals.
How does it work?
Our expert team of call-handlers can help with information, contacting services, appointment information, updating patient details and referrals.
They can also assess the needs of patients and how urgently they need help. If urgent help is needed, our call handlers have quick and direct access to highly qualified nurses who can rapidly assess the patient’s needs and act on these as required.
What services does the SPoA support?
SPoA is able to handle calls for all the following adult services:
- Community Nurses – housebound patients, wounds, pressure sores, pressure-relieving equipment, catheters (adults)
- Occupational Therapists (OTs) - equipment around the house e.g. grab rails, shower assessments, transfers
- Intermediate Care (IMC) - meal preparation, washing/dressing, rehabilitation and enablement
- Rapid Intervention (RIT) - emergency care needed for no longer than 72 hours in the community (out of hours service)
- Matrons - long-term chronic illnesses (adults)
- Community Beds - inpatient rehabilitation beds
- Neuro-Stroke - neurological disease, early supported discharge
- Special Palliative Care - emotional and physical support and care for those with life limiting illnesses
- Physiotherapy – functional rehabilitation, walkers & walking sticks, mobility help
- Tissue Viability (Wound Care)
Is it new?
Yes. The SPoA was developed from scratch with a new team, new technologies and in a fully refurbished venue. It was launched in October 2018 and replaces the One Call service previously provided for the Trust by East of England Ambulance Service.
Can I provide feedback?
Yes, and we welcome this. If you or a loved one has used the SPoA service in the last six months and would like to feedback your experience or get involved in developing it, please don’t hesitate to contact our People Participation team using the email address below: