10-bedded adult Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) for service users requiring a higher level of nursing intervention in a more secure environment. For male service users only, the service offers:
• 24 hour, 365 days a year services
• A higher ratio of staff to patients to provide tailored care
• Active involvement of the patient, family and carers
• Choice and autonomy, where possible
• Intensive assessment, intervention and support
• Recovery planning with patient focussed outcomes
• Sensitive approach to ethnic and cultural issues
• Share learning from the crisis
• Time-limited treatments that are responsive to patient’s needs
• To provide practical support and assistance with problems of daily living.
The ward has a multi-disciplinary team including mental health nurses, clinical support workers, clinical psychologists, a consultant psychiatrist and medical staff. They work in partnership with the outpatients team, care co-ordinators, social workers and GPs to support the patient through their inpatient stay.
People are transferred to this ward from other wards if they need more intensive support. Other may be admitted directly to the ward if their condition on assessment indicates that this would be the best setting to commence their inpatient care.