The DRC @ The Wellbeing Centre in Bedford provides a day service to adults who are experiencing mental health problems in Bedford Borough and Central Bedfordshire.
This is based on group work. The service aims to promote personal recovery; helping people to re-build or develop a life they consider is worth living. Promoting social inclusion is a key factor in all aspects of the services work.
People who attend will be offered;
- Help with identify their needs, strengths and goals
- Support to organize a pathway to recovery using an action plan
- Encouragement to take responsibility and to develop a sense of agency/empowerment
The service operates in two ways;
1) There is an activity program which attenders will generally come to for more than one day a week attending a number of activities. This can help people start or build-up their ability and confidence socializing; develop their concentration and motivation; and, to learn about their abilities and wishes.
All activities are time limited, usually between 8 to 10 weeks. Current activities include; simple aerobics; playing board games; craft; cooking; art, and computing.
Attendance to the activity program is supported by I:I link worker meetings, attenders and link workers will negotiate when and how discharge from the service will happen.
2) There is a developing set of time limited educational workshops.
These aim to develop understanding and self-management of lived with difficulties. Workshops range from a half day to 8 weeks duration.
Workshops available include; mood & activation; improving self-confidence; introduction to yoga; Lifestyle choices/goal setting; understanding voices, and; relation management.
Workshop attendance is not supported by link worker support; people are discharged at the end of the workshop.