OCEAN Mental Health Service East London
For the OCEAN Bedfordshire & Luton service page click here.
OCEAN (Offering Compassionate Emotional Support for those Living Through Birth Trauma & Birth Loss) is an integrated maternity and mental health service. It provides support for those experiencing or those who have experienced birth loss or birth trauma.
A service for people who live or work in the London boroughs of City & Hackney, Newham and Tower Hamlets.
The service is provided by East London NHS Foundation Trust (ELFT) in partnership with Barts Health NHS Trust, Homerton University Hospital Foundation Trust (HUHFT) and Maternity Mates.
The OCEAN Service provides:
- Specialist psychological treatment, care and support to those who have experienced a birth trauma and/or loss
- Targeted assessment/intervention for individuals identified with moderate/complex mental health needs arising from, or related to their maternity experience
- Therapeutic care that integrates psychological support, specialist midwifery support, and support around reproductive health.
It provides support for individuals experiencing moderate to severe mental health needs arising from:
- Birth trauma
- Pregnancy loss (due to miscarriage, stillbirth, or termination for any reason)
- Neonatal death
- Parent infant separation following birth due to safeguarding concerns
- Severe fear of childbirth
The aim is to provide joined-up care across mental health, maternity and reproductive health. This will fill in the gap where there is no other suitable existing service.
It is offering help to individuals who are wanting and ready to engage in psychologically based support. This service will provide planned care and is not able to provide crisis support.
This service has been co-produced by service users, voluntary sector organisations, maternity voices partnership and other NHS partners. This has been key to how the service has been shaped based on real life experiences.
Healthcare professionals can refer into this service in the following ways;
Please leave the name of the person you would like to refer and details of how we can telephone you to gather more information to complete the referral jointly
Referral form for healthcare professionals please complete the Perinatal Mental Health Referral Form and send to the Perinatal Mental Health team email found on the form.
All referrals will be triaged daily by clinicians from Perinatal Mental Health and Ocean.
Self referrals and referrals from carers/family members
The service is open to self-referrals and referrals from carers/family members by contacting us by telephone or email using the details above.
- East London OCEAN Leaflets (English)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Arabic)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Bengali)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Bengali Sylheti)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Hebrew)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Kurdish Sorani)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Polish)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Russian)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Somali)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Turkish)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Ukrainian)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Urdu)
- East London OCEAN Leaflet (Yiddish)