If you need urgent help with your mental health, here are some of the options available to you. Services operate 24/7 every day of the year.
If you or someone you know is in immediate danger of harming themselves or others, if they are hearing voices or seeing things that aren't there, or are experiencing an urgent and immediate mental health crisis, please call:
- If you live in Bedfordshire call NHS 111 (option 2)
- If you live in City & Hackney call Free Phone 0800 073 0006*
- If you live in Luton call NHS 111 (option 2)
- If you live in Newham call Free Phone 0800 073 0066
- If you live in Tower Hamlets call Free Phone 0800 073 0003
If you or another person have been harmed or are at immediate risk you may require an emergency response contact 999 and ask for the relevant service.
* We are experiencing some issues with our City and Hackney crisis phone lines. You might find the phone is ringing for longer than you would expect which is not ideal We are trying to resolve this so please stay on the line - we will get to your call. We apologise for the added wait.
Young People (under 18 years)
If necessary, the crisis line contacts above can divert young people to be seen by CAMHS nurses outside of A&E between 9.00 am-9.00 pm Monday to Friday (East London & Bedfordshire / Luton) and 8.00 am-8.00 pm (East London) and 10.00 am-8.00 pm (Bedfordshire / Luton) on weekends and public holidays. Outside these hours the crisis telephone staff will offer advice and arrange an urgent assessment if needed.
Who else can I talk to?
Primary care psychological services (also known as IAPT services) offer psychological interventions for common mental health problems, such as anxiety, low mood, relationship issues, traumas, and living with long-term health conditions. The four IAPT services under ELFT are open to referrals and are currently offering interventions on the telephone and virtual platforms. They also have a number of new interventions to help people get through COVID-19 challenges.
Please note they are not crisis services.
Self-referrals are encouraged. For information and referral, please see:
- Bedfordshire Wellbeing Service or call 01234 880400.
- Richmond Wellbeing Service or call 020 8548 5550.
- Newham Talking Therapies or call 020 8475 8080.
- Tower Hamlets Talking Therapies or call 020 8475 8080
If you need urgent help with your physical health, here are some of the options available to you:
- Call 999 if it is a medical emergency
- Use the 111 online service
Call 111 when you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service, you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call you are experiencing a mental health crisis and don't know who to call.
For less urgent health needs, contact your GP or local pharmacist.