Intermediate Care - Fothergill Ward
East Ham Care Centre provides NHS Continuing Healthcare to Newham residents aged 18 plus over an extended period of time to meet a person’s continuing physical or mental health care needs.
We also provide respite care to a similarly dependent client group normally cared for in the community, to enable their carers to take a break from the responsibilities of caring.
Referrals are received from acute hospitals, and other health and social care professionals. The services are part of the Specialist Nursing Team in Adults Services, within Community Health Newham. The services are provided in a mixture of single and double room accommodations all with en-suite facilities.
Admission to in-patient NHS Continuing Care is decided by a multidisciplinary team and is often the last and only resort due to the patient’s complex and intense level of care needs.
- Ward Manager: Babalola Shotayo
- Modern Matron: Chantal Riviere and Veta Gordon
- Senior Manager: Gavin Shields, Lead Nurse
East Ham Care Centre
302 Shrewsbury Road
- E-Rostering in use across all services, which promotes cost effectiveness by ensuring an appropriate skill mix of staff and competencies in all patient areas.
- The East Ham Care Centre achieved an ‘excellent’ status in 2011 in all the areas inspected by the Patient Environment Action Team Survey (PEAT) 2009, conducted by the National Patient Safety Agency. They looked at the quality of patient food, cleanliness in the wards and adherence to Infection Control measures.
- The Continuing Care inpatient area has also been nominated as the Best Placement of the Year by City University Nursing Students.