Newham Learning Disabilities Service
We are Newham’s Health Team for Adults with Learning Disabilities. We’re called NHLD.
We are a specialist healthcare team. We are run by the East London NHS Foundation Trust.
We work with adults with severe or profound Learning Disabilities in Newham.
We work at 29 Romford Road in Stratford.
We can also visit people at their home, college, or day service.
29 Romford Road
We work with people who have severe or profound levels of learning disabilities and unmet health needs who live in and have a GP in Newham.
We work with adults from 18 years old or older.
We might start working with you when you’re getting ready to move from Child to Adult services.
We sometimes work with people with mild to moderate learning disabilities with an unmet health need, but only if they are unable to access mainstream services even with reasonable adjustments.
We do not accept referrals for people with:
- Adults with a Learning Disability diagnosis without a related unmet health need
- Adults with specific learning difficulties only, e.g. dyslexia Autistic adults without learning disabilities
- Adults with Mild/Moderate learning disabilities who are able to access mainstream service with reasonable adjustments
- Adults with acquired brain injury or cognitive changes occurring in adulthood (i.e., an injury NOT acquired before the age of 18)
We help people with their healthcare needs.
We might work with you, your family or carers and other professionals, including social workers.
We support people to live healthy and happy lives and to get the support they need. We support people with physical, mental health and behavioural support needs.
We also work to help adults with Learning Disabilities access other mainstream services, like mental health and physical health services.
We have different professionals in the team:
- Clinical Psychologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Positive Behaviours Support Practitioners
- Art Therapist
They are supported by operational managers, Continuing Healthcare Coordinators and admin staff.