Poplars Ward (Bedfordshire and Luton)
Older people assessment inpatient services are provided for people over the age of 65 years with a functional or organic mental illness.
Functional mental illness describes conditions of acute psychiatric illness such as depression, anxiety or psychosis. Organic mental illness mostly describes dementia as well as other conditions which result from brain injury.
The service offers:
- 24 hour service, 365 days a year
- Active involvement of the patient, family and carers
- Assessment, intensive treatment, intervention and support in the early stages of a mental health crisis
- Choice and patient autonomy
- Practical support and assistance with problems of daily living
- Rapid response following referral to the ward
- Recovery planning with patient focused outcomes
- Time-limited care that is responsive to patient need.
Self-referrals to this service are not accepted.
Referrals are accepted from: GP, A&E, community mental health team (CMHT), crisis team (CRHT), residential or nursing homes or yellow board from Luton & Dunstable Hospital.