Poplars Ward (Bedfordshire and Luton)
Older people assessment inpatient services are provided for people over the age of 65 years with a functional mental illness.
Functional mental illness describes conditions of acute psychiatric illness such as depression, anxiety or psychosis.
The service offers:
- 24 hour service, 365 days a year
- Active involvement of the patient, family and carers
- Assessment, intensive treatment, intervention and support in the early stages of a mental health crisis
- Choice and patient autonomy
- Practical support and assistance with problems of daily living
- Rapid response following referral to the ward
- Recovery planning with patient focused outcomes
- Time-limited care that is responsive to patient need.
Self-referrals to this service are not accepted.
Referrals are accepted from: GP, A&E, community mental health team (CMHT), crisis team (CRHT), residential or nursing homes or yellow board from Luton & Dunstable Hospital.