Mental Health Support
Veterans’ Mental Health High Intensity Service
A specialist service for those who have served in the regular armed forces or as a reservist in the British Military and their families. The service provides crisis and intensive support for veterans across Bedford Borough, Central Bedfordshire and Luton.
> Referral form
> Information for professionals
The Veterans Mental Health and Wellbeing Service is the new name for the Veterans’ Mental Health Transition, Intervention and Liaison Service (TILS), Veterans’ Mental Health Complex Treatment Service (CTS) and Veterans’ Mental Health High Intensity Service (HIS). The new name has been developed following feedback from veterans and their families to make it easier for those leaving the military and veterans to find help.
What will happen when you contact Op COURAGE:
To make sure you get the right care and support, you will first have an assessment by someone who understands the specific needs of the Armed Forces community.
The service offers a range of treatment, which includes:
• working with Defence Medical Services to make sure you get mental health care and support as you transition from the military to civilian life
• recognising the early signs of mental health problems and providing care and treatment for this
• therapeutic treatment for more advanced mental health conditions and psychological trauma
• intensive emergency care and treatment if you’re in a crisis
• helping you to access other NHS services if needed, such as psychological therapies (IAPT) services and eating disorder services
• working with charities and local organisations to support you with your wider health and wellbeing needs, such as housing, relationships, finances, employment, drug and alcohol misuse and social support.
For more information, visit the NHS website at www.nhs.uk/opcourage
Together All (previously BIG WHITE WALL) online mental health support
The Ripple Pond for families supporting those with a diagnosis of PTSD, for example
The Poppy Factory
- The Poppy Factory’ mission is to support veterans with health conditions on their journey into employment and to continue supporting them whatever challenges they may face.
- Four out of five of the veterans we work with report a mental health condition. Whatever their situation, and whatever they are going through, our employability team is on hand to offer one-to-one support.
- Our service is veteran-centred and helps people of all ages, including many over 50. The men and women we support move into a diverse range of jobs across dozens of different sectors, from logistics and construction to the charity sector and health care.
The Poppy Factory has been supporting wounded, injured and sick veterans for nearly 100 years. Clients can self-refer by filling out an online form, calling 020 8939 1837 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Walking with the Wounded (WWTW)
WWTW supports a pathway for vulnerable veterans to re-integrate back into society and sustain their independence. At the heart of this journey is employment.
Tel: 0121 262 3058 or email email@example.com
Armed Forces Covenant Employer Recognition Scheme
Veterans’ Gateway is made up of a consortium of Armed Forces charities, including The Royal British Legion, SSAFA – the Armed Forces charity, Poppyscotland, Combat Stress and Connect Assist. Our connection with additional key referral organisations - both within and outside the Armed Forces sector - means we can get you to the right organisation who can help.
Forces Connect mobile app
The Forces Connect app is designed to link users in four easy clicks to organisations offering help, support and services across a wide range of needs. The app is free and aimed at all of the Armed Forces community – serving personnel, reservists, veterans and their families – as well as a useful resource for frontline public services staff.
The Royal British Legion
Contact centre 7 days per week 8am-8pm. Tel: 0808 802 8080.
Support available for: Care and independent living, physical and mental wellbeing, financial and employment support, local community connections and housing support.
Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen and Families Association
Tel: 0800 731 4880
Royal Air Force Association
Tel: 0800 018 2361
Tel: Freephone 0800 012 6867 or landline 0207 828 2468
Employment Support for female veterans and spouses, partners, and ex-partners
RFEA Military Womens Programme
This programme provides a high touch for individuals who have been out of the labour market for some time and who have a lack of self-esteem and self-belief. It is an empowering service that enables women back to a successful career path
RFEA Families Programme
RFEA’s Families Employment Programme supports civilian spouses and partners of serving and ex-Forces personnel on their journey into employment.
Their dedicated Advisors are spouses; they understand. They provide one to one advice and guidance, employability and employment support including bespoke career and training diagnostics, CV and application assistance, interview techniques, coaching and mentoring, links to local business and RFEA’s extensive database of nationwide employers.
Recruitment for Spouses
The Liquid Workforce
The Liquid Workforce provides an opportunity for all military spouses to work in an agile and flexible way that fits seamlessly into military life and provides the massively positive benefits of getting back into employment and earning money.
Recruitment for Spouses_Coaching Programme
Military and veteran spouses and partners have access to six FREE 1-to-1 coaching sessions which helps them to focus on a specific set of goals within a specified time. It is designed to help individuals discover what truly motivates them and to identify their barriers to support them in goal setting for their future.
Recruitment for Spouses_Mentoring Programme
RFS also have a FREE mentoring programme which is focussed on the personal and professional development of military and veteran spouses and partners over a longer timeframe than the coaching programme.
Other free RFSservices include:
- Self-study- (Digital Marketing Masterclass and Virtual Assistant Online Course)
- Facebook (a closed group that enables women to connect with one another and share their experiences
- Online events