Newham Adult Speech and Language Therapy Service
Communication assessment and management may include:
- Assessing speech, language (understanding, expression, written understanding and written output) and voice as appropriate.
- Assessing and offering advice regarding the appropriateness of alternative/augmentative methods of communication.
- Based on assessment findings devising an appropriate management plan which may include advice, education or therapeutic intervention to improve or maintain function.
Swallowing assessment and management may include:
- Assessing the physiology of the swallow and determining the safety of oral food/fluid intake and risk of aspiration.
- Assessing for the presence of impaired eating and drinking skills.
- Making recommendations as to the safest oral intake with accompanying strategies as appropriate.
- Providing verbal and/or written feedback to all those involved.
- Supporting carers and reducing potential anxiety surrounding the feeding difficulties.
The Adult SALT team works closely with colleagues in Rapid Response, Extended Primary Care, East Ham Care Centre, Newham University Hospital, Mile End Hospital and Community Neurology Services.
Initiatives and achievements:
- Establishing an annual MDT training day to care staff regarding Nutrition in Care Homes to improve management of feeding and swallowing and reduce risk of hospital admission.
- Devising an e-learning module on “Dysphagia” to encourage awareness of knowledge in supporting people with swallowing difficulties across the trust.
- Exploring and trialling new and innovative treatment approaches in dysphagia management.
East Ham Care Centre