The Children’s Continuing Care Service provides additional support to children with the highest level of complex medical needs within Newham, these are assessed in accordance with the Children and Young People's Continuing Care National Framework 2016.
If children and young people are eligible for continuing care, they receive an individualised care package, usually provided in the child’s own home.
Care packages may be delivered at any time throughout the 24 hour day and can include overnight care for the child in order to allow parents to sleep through the night.
The Service aims to:
- provide personalised care packages to individual children based upon an assessed care need
- support discharge from hospital of children with complex medical needs
- establish and maintain clear channels of communication with families at all times
- ensure that packages of care are delivered by professionals who have received specific training and preparation for their work with individual children
- regularly review care packages to ensure that they continue to meet the needs of the child
- work collaboratively with Children's Social Care to provide a holistic approach to supporting families and children in need of support
Professionals - Please contact the office on 020 3738 7063 and ask for the Continuing Care Nurse Specialist
Parents - Please discuss with your GP, Community Nurse, School or Acute Hospital
Link to Children and Young People's Continuing Care National Framework 2016: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/children-and-young-peoples-continuing-care-national-framework
Together for Short Lives - helping to support seriously ill children: https://www.togetherforshortlives.org.uk/
Breathe On - Supporting families of children who need help to breathe: http://www.breatheon.org.uk/
Rainbow Trust - Supporting families with a seriously ill child: https://rainbowtrust.org.uk/<<<<