Specialist Services for People with a Learning Disability (Bedfordshire and Luton)
We are the Bedfordshire Services for People with a Learning Disability. We’re called SPLD.
We are a Specialist Health Care Team (SHCT) and an Intensive Support Team (IST).
We are run by the East London NHS Foundation Trust.
We work with adults with learning disabilities across Bedfordshire and Luton.
We work at the Twinwoods Resource Centre in Clapham, Bedford.
We can also visit people at their home, college, or day service.
Clinical Resource Centre
Anyone can refer to SPLD. You can refer yourself. Or you could ask your GP, a family member, or someone else.
You can download our referral form and email it to SPLD.
- Email: Eltfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 01234 310589
We work with people with Learning Disabilities who live in and have a GP in Bedfordshire. We work with adults from 18 years old or older. We might start working with you when you’re getting ready to move from Child to Adult services.
We do not accept referrals for people with:
- Adults with specific learning difficulties only, e.g. dyslexia
- Autistic adults without learning disabilities
- Adults with Mild/Moderate learning disabilities who are able to access mainstream service with reasonable adjustments
- Adults with acquired brain injury or cognitive changes occurring in adulthood (i.e., an injury NOT acquired before the age of 18)
We help people with their healthcare needs. We might work with you, your family or carers, and other professionals, including social workers.
We support people to live healthy and happy lives, and to get the support they need.
We support people with physical, mental health, and behavioural support needs.
We also work to help adults with Learning Disabilities access other mainstream services, like mental health and physical health services.
We have different professionals on the team:
- Arts Therapists
- Health Facilitation
- Occupational Therapists
- Positive Behaviours Support Practitioners
- Speech and Language Therapists
They are supported by operational managers and admin staff.