Tower Hamlets Foot Health Service
We can help with a range of conditions which affect foot health such as diabetics with foot complications, circulatory conditions or congenital deformity. Routine nail care, callous and corns will not be treated.
Our Urgent Referral Criteria and Referral information
Daily Emergency Clinic 8:30 am prompt Monday-Friday, excl Bank Holidays.
Patients can self-refer to our Emergency Clinic for blisters and sores, discharging and infected wounds, inflamed areas such as acute ingrowing toenails
Mon-Fri (excluding bank holidays) at Mile End Hospital, Foot Health Department. To ensure treatment service users must be present at 8.30am.
Service users should please bring their NHS Number for speedy registration for care
Departmental opening hours are 8.30 am - 5.00 pm (Routine daily clinics start at 9:30am post emergency clinic)
Out of hours please contact NHS 111
Our Routine Referral Criteria
- Diabetics with complications affecting their feet (Not painful neuropathy)
- Peripheral arterial disease patients
- Peripheral sensory neuropathy
- Rheumatoid arthritis affecting tissue viability
- Lymphoedema affecting tissue viability with active or previous ulcer
- Significant foot deformity and congenital foot issue requiring footwear
- Previous ulcers requiring foot protection
- Diagnosed mental health issues & learning disability affecting ability to self foot care
- Diagnosed dementia unable to self foot care
Top five not accepted foot health referrals:
1. Diabetics with painful peripheral neuropathy or burning sensation to feet
2. Anyone with a verruca or fungal infection
3. People with rheumatoid arthritis affecting their feet requiring musculoskeletal
assessment or insole therapy
4. People with plantar fasciitis, heel pain, digital deformities or bunions
5. Anyone requiring an internal or external heel raise for a leg length discrepancy
How GP can make a routine referral
Through EMIS using the template 'Single Point of Access CHS Referral TH CEG (RP) v5' and by completing relevant sections.
Save the consultation then the document named 'CHS SPA referral form TH CEG (RP) v2 will automatically open
Select the service and the rest of the form will be populated automatically.
Save and close document and send via Accurx Accumail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Self referral Non-NHS Footcare Providers:
Download the Non NHS Provider List for routine foot and nail care and non eligible issues
Contact details for GP to discuss referral
Telephone: 0207 771 5775
Important: If you are unable to make contact with us please call SPA on 0300 033 5000